Camden Town BID
Camden Town Business Improvement District (BID)
Developing the BID
This was one of the first BIDs established in the UK and succeeded in aligning the common interests of several hundred businesses in Camden to share the costs of better marketing, place-making and security. A clear message was sent out to the business community that the BID projects and services would be determined by businesses for businesses and might vary from additional cleansing and security to marketing and collective purchasing and working closely with local partners to achieve the improvements that businesses desire for an area.
In summary the BID was designed to:
- cut crime
- clean and green
- celebrate and promote
The projected benefits of BIDs cited by businesses included:
- Increased footfall
- Improved staff retention
- Business cost reduction (shrinkage, crime, joint procurement)
- Area marketing and promotion
- Networking opportunities
- A collective business voice and representation on issues affecting their area
- Assistance in dealings with the Council, Police and other public bodies
Key elements of the operational plan executed successfully included the development of a business plan and BID proposal through the creation of three 'theme' groups and wider consultation. Thereafter approvals were sought with the local council to move forward and set in motion a ballot to be held by the local authority and legal due diligence via the appointment of lawyers.
Camden Town Unlimited (CTU) has been formed as a legal entity fronting the BID and 'appointed' by the business community to improve Camden Town as a place to work, live and visit. As the representatives for business, CTU introduce innovative approaches to upgrade the commercial and environmental performance of Camden Town, putting business at centre stage to oversee the operations.Working with a number of partners including Camden Council, TfL, GLA, Central Government and key private sector stakeholders, we advocate, initiate and deliver projects that improve the viability, visibility and commercial performance of Camden Town as a business location. Some notable successes include:
• Securing an additional 28 uniformed officers to patrol in Camden Town
• Preparing and delivering a £10 million streetscape regeneration plan
• Delivering an international marketing campaign celebrating the vibrant business district, in partnership with Visit London, Time Out and the Guardian
• Implementing a renowned Pop Up Shop programme and transforming Camden Towns vacant premises into creative platforms
• Launching a local discount card scheme with over 100 local businesses and 5,000 employees and residents taking part
CTU is entirely accountable to its members. Our management team is directly responsible to a board of local business leaders, elected annually from and by our business membership. This ensures only initiatives that translate directly into benefits for businesses are approved and delivered. Camden Town Unlimited is also the businesses day to day contact regarding business in Camden Town.
Further information on the current status of the Camden BID.